- In “Pleas for Civility Meet Cynicism” http://chronicle.com/article/Pleas-for-Civility-Meet/148715 by Peter Schmidt, describes the current phenomena being evidenced by college administrators.
Chancellor of the University of California at Berkley who maintains that free speech requires civility http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/7/uc-berkley-chancellor-free-speech-requires-civilit/#! by Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times, Sunday, September 7, 2014
- Applicable to the situation are observations found in “Wild Words, Brain Worms, and Civility” September 14, 2014 in the New York Times http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/krugman/2014/09/14/wild-words-brain-worms-and-civility/ by CUNY’s Paul Krugman who has written that
"On the right observers such as Rush Limbaugh have described the calls for civility as a form of censorship"
- Conservative Scott Kirwin describes in his Razor article, http://www.therazor.org/oldroot/Spring03/censorship.htm, cases where concern over civility results in censorship, either from the bottom-up or top-down.
- “Universities need less civility and more ‘shit‑kicking’”
- September 11, 2014 Dennis Hayes, a professor of Education, writes, “Civility and Speech in the Modern University, 200 Years Ago in Germany” https://notevenpast.org/civility-and-speech-in-the-modern-university-200-years-ago-in-germany/ by Matthew Bunn
- In “Civility Does not Justify Censorship” http://www.benningtonbanner.com/columnists/ci_17153474
- Civility is seen as a device for censorship at the Northern Illinois University which is restricting students' access to certain websites. Orwellian University Blocks Students' Access to Harmful Sites, For 'Civility' -
- In Free Speech and Civility, http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=2737#.VEKXWmt5mK1 a college student at North Carolina State, Derek Spicer, describes how he learned that that “civility” is the latest buzzword in the lexicon of reactionary administrators.
- In his “Civility and Free Speech" reply to Nelson the AAUP's Henry Reichman cautions https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2014/10/14/essay-argues-recent-statements-college-leaders-about-civility-are-threat-academic
- And "wide ranging critique of civility police and call for strong action and language in the face of injustice and discrimination,” Civility Disobedience”(http://bullybloggers.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/civility-disobedience/), Tav Nyong’o 18 Aug 2014
- Sometimes it needs to be reiterated that “Dialogue Is Important, Even When It’s Impolite” as observed by Ryan M. Milnerhttp://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/08/19/the-war-against-online-trolls/dialogue-is-important-even-when-its-impolite