.. More this time because it's a twofer plus, e.g. two updates in one plus extra petitions for new Petitions Feature. Are you shopping an adjunct or higher ed petition? Email petition link to firstname.lastname@example.org to add to petitions in Updates. To subscribe to regular Updates, email email@example.com. More about Joe Berry. Updates are also archived at chicagococal.org. FollowCOCAL International on Facebook
Updates in brief and links
- Ana’s Adjunct Pay Petition
- Petition OR State U admin to recognize grad employees' bargaining unit
- Support forgiveness of student loans
- Tell Vice President Biden: Don't Blame Faculty for the High Cost of College; Most Are "Working Poor!"
- For Illinois Annual Meeting info, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- AAUP Summer Institute
- Higher ed media on new AAUP president Rudy Fichtenbaum here and here
- CA Faculty Assoc. takes strike vote for entire CSU system. Would be unprecedented faculty strike in size in CA and maybe nationally (counter examples are hereby solicited from historically minded)
- See The student newspaper at Cal State Long Beach had a great article on the strike vote that directly highlighted CFHE and the week of action
- For another strike vote story and picture, see this LA Times article:
- Or for more pictures and information go to the CFA website!
- California CC Chancellor's office declared two-tier tuition (for residents) illegal
Around the Adjunctiverse
- USC ad for adjunct job specifies that the person not be teaching anywhere else rankles adjuncts, draws reactions from National Review and Dean Dad
- Ten Ways for a non-tenure track faculty to get fired [some good, some obvious, some dubious and others possibly tongue in cheek.]
- Green River CC Teach-in on Faculty Apartheid, presentations by Longmate and Cosco
- More on Teach-In and Disposable Faculty, Paul Header in Dissident Voice
- An ex-adjunct blogs about the difference
- Adjunct union certified at Bergen CC (NJ)
- Faculty at U of Oregon get agreement on mixed bargaining unit recognition as joint AFT/AAUP affiliate
- More on union recognition at U of Oregon
- Academe blog post from EWU union organizer in Chicago
- Good Labor Notes article on the last big private sector organizing victory in the US, Smithfield Foods (meat packing house) in North Carolina, many good lessons all.
- Lecturers Employee Organization (LEO, MFT/AFT) at U of MI wins big arbitration protecting retirement and health benefit rights from attempted employer erosion.
- Pearson for-Profit markets online general education classes to public institutions
- New head appointed for CA state agency overseeing for-profit higher education after critical news series on agency
- Student veterans group revokes charters of locals at over 20 for-profit colleges
- Sophia, an online learning platform recently acquired by Capella Education Co. released 25,000 free tutorials aimed at college and high school students. For-profit Capella plans this summer to introduce "Sophia Pathways for College Credit” to offer college credit (classes) online to higher school students for a fee.
- The for-profits' war on philanthropy
- More on new play about for-profits
- Kaplan and other for-profits were part of ALEC and their ED task force
- New memo reveals union suppression at Kaplan U in NYC
- August 9-12: Tenth Conference on Contingent Academic Labor (COCAL X). Early discounted registration ends June 1, 2012. Details (dates, agenda, housing, registration and costs) for the upcoming COCAL X conference on COCAL International website. The call for papers (presentations) is now out and proposals are due May 15. See submission details online. Get updates and get in contact with other COCAL supporters at our COCAL Facebook page,
- Unsettling but telling contrast in US press coverage between French and US elections. Are there lessons here for how the press frames our issues in higher ed? [such as making the extreme privatization and casualization trends of US seem normal here, but covering them differently, if at all, overseas]. The question, of course, is how to change or challenge this press frame.
- Update on massive Quebec student strike against huge tuition increases
- Scientific American article supports what most of us in the union movement have long said, as wealth goes up, empathy declines [or "the rich are different from you and me, they have more money..." and less empathy for others.]
- Jill Biden makes over $80,000/year, but not as an adjunct, it turns out.
- Portland CC asking FT and PT English teachers to pay back money "overpaid" to them