Updates in brief and with links: emailed Apr16; reformatted, edited for web Apr19
Bill Barry (shown here with Mother Jones) has come out with a new book, Union Strategies for Hard Times, to address every situation an organizer, or an organizing program would confront trying to rebuild the union movement. (PS, love the Labor Studies program tees: "Danger! Educated Union Member")
- New anti-Occupy law threatens right of assembly (In These Times; NFM Ed note: Update from original emailing not used because it was too long, no link and not from a public source)
- Section 273a of Michigan's education appropriations bill seeks to ban universities and colleges from any collaboration with worker centers. H-Labor post includes links to articles and petition.
- On acting like a union even without dues checkoff of a contract or a law
- Another teacher fired (for teaching about Trayvon Martin), without tenure or a union. Read morehere and sign a petition. Shows again why we need job security and unions.
- University of Oregon challenges faculty right to have a union that represents all faculty, TT and NTT
- Adjunct, contingent faculty activist and New Faculty Majority member Jack Longmate asks accreditor to act in ongoing dispute with college and union in Washington State.
- College of DuPage (IL) administration asks for givebacks from FT faculty union. Spares other unions, for now
- Jill Biden speaks to NEA Today about CC's [but we are again left out]
- Does retirement wave coming in California CC's mean FT jobs for partimers?
- Ana Maria Fores Tamayo's Better pay for adjuncts petition at SignOn. Sign it NOW and get your friends to sign too because Maria is not giving up until she gets enough names.
- Tour promoting "Homeless Adjunct" movie "Junct" in production, interviewing contingent faculty across the country, raising awareness and production funding and promoting the New Faculty Majority, Debra Leigh Scott and Chris LaBree
- For Profit Argosy U cuts online adjunct pay