in brief, with links
A great quote "Capitalism teaches the people the moral conceptions of cannibalism are the strong devouring the weak; its theory of the world of men and women is that of a glorified pig-trough where the biggest swine gets the most swill." - James Connolly 1910.
Another, this time international, conversation of what to call ourselves. [I personally have come to favor "precarious" even over "contingent"]. Hyperlink Academia blog
Yet another article about overpaid and underworked professors (WaPo) that ignores the contingent majority [written by a former college president who assuredly knows better, since his old institution, New School U, spent big bucks fighting an adjunct unionization campaign] and discussion of his article on IHE
- CHE on bad court decision regarding U of IL Chicago petition for joint (TT/NTT) bargaining unit and open letter from union to administration offering to accept two separate units in same local union.
- Accreditation as a means to aid adjuncts by considering staffing ratios and working conditions as factors in accreditation. CHE
4Profits & Privatization
- Mammoth demonstration in Quebec in support of strikes agains university fee hikes
- "Occupy May Day: Not Your Usual General Strike," a very good article on the Occupy call for a "General Strike" on May 1, by the author of the famous book "Strike," Jeremy Brecher. Indy Blog (originally published by ZCommunications, also appearing in Portside and Common Dreams) http://indypendent.org/2012/03/29/occupy-may-day-not-your-usual-general-strike
- Grad employees at U of MN reject unionization in 4th vote since 1990, this time with UAW.
- CFHE Updates on 2012 Week of Action April 16 and other Campaign for the Future of Higher Ed updates.
- Article by John Stoehr, editor of the New Haven Advocate and Yale lecturer, on the myth of freedom in the land of the free. Well worth a look.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, to subscribe to regular updates in brief and links by email. More about Joe Berry.