"Resist, Mobilize, Transform" surely applies to the New Faculty Majority's mission as well as it does to protecting higher education ~ which we, especially as "The New Majority," are part of too.
Do you recall that well-used and by now well worn favorite of pundits: "as goes California, so goes the county"? It's not just an old pundit's tale. California's higher ed dilemma is either coming to your campus or has already arrived.
If you don't feel you can support the proposed actions (not place to tell you what to do or how ~ and vice versa), at the very least you owe to yourself and your profession to be as well informed as possible, which means reading more than just the mainstream media and the established/ establishment academic press.
The following are my personal picks from the many excellent independent online sources out there:
- Remaking the University (Chris Newfield)
- Changing Universities (Bob Samuels)
- How the University Works (Marc Bosque)
- Student Activism (Angus Johnston)
- University Probe (Charlie Schwartz et alia), a critical forum on Research Universities, their finances, their governance... their futures
To be sure there are more ... all worthy of listing. And who knows, may well get their hat tip or even a blogroll of their own.
Do you have favorites to recommend? Please submit them, preferably annotated...